Africa Check is a non-profit organization set up in 2012 to promote accuracy in public debate and the media in Africa. The goal of Africa Check’s work is to raise the quality of information available to society across the continent. Since 2012 they have fact-checked hundreds of claims on topics from crime and race in South Africa to population numbers in Nigeria and fake health cures in countries around Africa.
Africa Check seeks to appoint a Deputy Director, based in the Journalism Department of the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg.
Deputizing for the Executive Director and assisting in the development of Africa Check’s overall strategy, the Deputy Director will be responsible for planning and managing implementation of key areas of the strategy.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Assisting the Executive Director in the development and implementation of overall strategy
- Ensuring efficient delivery of agreed work plans across the organization
- Providing the editorial teams with day-to-day guidance on editorial matters, as and when they require this
- Taking responsibility for developing human resources policies for Africa Check staff and freelancers across Africa
- Developing the income generating / business development/fundraising strategy
- Overseeing the development and implementation of the digital communication strategy
- Overseeing the management of Human Resources and administration
- Supporting the ED and finance team in the development of budgets, and the monitoring of spending
The successful candidate should demonstrate the following:
- A minimum of 15 years’ work experience in the media, media-for-development, or development sector; with at least five of those years in a senior management position
- Master’s degree (or Bachelor’s Degree with extensive experience in management in a media organization)
- An enthusiasm for and understanding of the work of fact-checking
- A track record in the media or development sector focused on investigations, accountability and/or open information
- Experience of successfully managing the business/fundraising side of a media or development sector organization
- Experience in and understanding of human resource issues in at least one African country
- Strong inter-personal and presentation-al skills; suitable to represent Africa Check at national and international events
View the full job description and application instructions on the vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday 26th April 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline April 26 2019