Africa Media Development Foundation (AMDF) is a Media Development Organisation that strengthens the media system and provides professional support to journalists in Africa.
Registered with Nigeria’s Corporate Affairs Commission in 2014, AMDF was born out of the desire to develop African media and journalists, as well as provide the needed insights to academic and development communication initiatives on the continent.
The organisation is led by individuals with diverse experiences, competencies and abilities spanning across journalism, media and development communication among others.
Vision: A just and informed society ushered in by free media, communication and knowledge sharing.
Mission: To provide professional support to media organisations, journalists and development communication initiatives.
The Mandate of AMDF is:
a. To advocate and promote press freedom and freedom of expression in Nigeria and Africa
b. To offer professional support to journalists, independent media and related content producers engaged in lawful practice of their profession
c. To promote professional ethics and conduct in the journalism profession
d. To provide professional support to development communication initiatives
e. To promote democracy and good governance using the media as a tool
The aims and objectives of the association are:
1. To provide capacity building opportunities and support to media organisations and journalists on a project basis.
2. To promote media engagement in projects that affect citizens positively.
3. To train civil society groups on sustainable media engagement strategies that are result oriented.
4. To serve as platform for better engagement process between the Media/Journalists on one hand and Development Partners, Policy Makers, Civil Society Organisations and Community members on the other.
5. To increase public awareness on Science, Health, Education and other Development issues for a better society.
6. To promote research in the field of media and communication.
7. To promote press freedom and freedom of speech.
8. To engage relevant stakeholders in the promotion and delivery of development initiatives.