Africa Media Development Foundation (AMDF) invites applications from interested professional, or freelance journalists in Africa for its 2023 AMDF Journalist of the Year Award.
• Each piece of work submitted must be an untold Development-focused story from Africa and focused on Africans
• The piece must reflect high-quality journalism work, highlighting major issues in the story, as well as the skills of the entrant in terms of quality of writing and logical presentation.
• The piece should have been first published or broadcast in an African medium, or Africa-focused medium, between 1st September 2022 and 30th August 2023.
Best TV Journalist
Best Radio Journalist
Best Online Journalist
Best Print Journalist
Journalist of the Year
Lifetime Achievement Award
Stand Out Performance Award
METHOD OF SUBMISSION
• Send a URL (web link) of the published work, alongside other required documents – hard copies are not acceptable.
• Entry should be sent through emails to email@example.com
The Award is open to professional journalists from Africa, who have published stories on either radio, TV, online, or print media targeting African audiences.
• All submitted works must be in English Language.
• A maximum of one entry is allowed per entrant.
• Past awardees are not eligible to submit entries.
• AMDF Employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate in this competition.
• The journalist with the most outstanding work amongst the finalists will be selected as the AMDF Journalist of the Year.
• By sending an entry to this competition, you agree to grant AMDF a royalty-free license to use your submitted works for any purpose deemed appropriate for the development of the Award concept, the AMDF, and the media in general.
The submitted package should include:
• Current CV of the journalist who bears the by-line of the story
• A high-resolution passport photograph
• A cover statement of not more than 400 words on the story;
• Explaining the background of the work: Identify the issues, what led to the topic, and any unusual experience encountered in the cause of the work.
• Describing challenges to the content of the story that were not reported in the original work.
• A panel of judges, comprising respected persons with suitable competencies in journalism, shall preside over the competition.
• The judges reserve the right to disqualify any piece of work or finalist if, in their opinion, there exists any reasonable doubt about the authenticity, or accuracy of submitted work, or the integrity of the finalists.
• AMDF award recipients and runners-up are expected to be persons of high ethical and professional standards. The organization reserves the right to withdraw awards at any point in time based on the misconduct of the recipient.
THE AWARD CEREMONY
The finalist and runner-up will be announced during the 2023 Africa Conference on Development Journalism which holds from 6th – 7th December 2023 in Kaduna, Nigeria.
Deadline for Submission of Entries: 5 PM Tuesday 3rd October, 2023. Only entries received by the deadline will be treated.
Kindly send all entries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
AMDF is an organization that provides professional support to media and sustainable development initiatives. For more on the organization, please visit www.amdf-centre.org
Africa Media Development Foundation
Suite 9, 1st Floor Imam House
Ahmadu Bello Way, Kaduna, Nigeria
+234 (0) 809 089 9927